Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Katie: My Journey to Costa Rica

In less than a month I will be leaving for my first trip to Central America. I can’t believe I will actually be traveling to Costa Rica. The focus of my studies has always been on West Africa and I am so excited to experience a new part of the world and a new culture. I am a dual-degree graduate student at Penn State Law and Penn State School of International Affairs. My undergrad major was in Peace and Global Studies. I have always had an interest in experiencing and learning from new cultures. The more I have learned about other cultures, the more I realize how little I really do know and how much room I have to grow.  

Every year for the past three years I have made it a point to find a way to enroll in an embedded course and it has completely changed my life. I am eager to see the world through a different lens and to work on taking off my own shoes before trying to walk in someone else’s. It is a life changing experience to travel –each time I have been confronted by someone or something that causes me to see the world and myself in a different light. 


My aspiration is to work in international social development with a focus on youth programs. After graduating from Penn State I am planning to enroll in the Peace Corps. I am eager to meet the Peace Corps volunteer on this trip to Costa Rica. I am also eager to experience the schools in the area and see how Costa Ricans define youth development. I hope that this trip will open my eyes and my mind to a new way of looking at and appreciating the world. I also hope it will expand my understanding of development by allowing me to experience what development means to another culture.  



No comments:

Post a Comment