Thursday, March 10, 2016

Gretchen: Food!

Now, I cannot write a blog about international travel without mentioning the wonderful food.  Our breakfast in San Lorenzo Inn was, as I previously mentioned, called gallo pinto, which means, "spotted rooster" in Spanish.  It consisted of rice, beans, and was served with scrambled eggs.  We had fresh papaya, mango, banana and cantaloupe on the side.  Muy Rico! Rice and beans here are so much better than in the states.  I usually do not like eating either, let alone both together.  Costa Ricans seem to drink an "orange juice" that is very similar to Sunny D.  And they drink a lot of fresh made fruit juices.  For lunch on our first full day, we ate at the MOST beautiful restaurant in the mountains.  Itit was very local food and it was surprisingly busy, despite the steep climb to get to the house where it was.  I ordered a stew called olla de carne  which means, "pot of meat" and was amazing!  It had several different root veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes) and other starchy vegetables (potatoes and squash) and some others that are very native to Costa Rica, such as yucca and malanga.  This was my first time drinking fresca de case which is an indescribable citrus drink unlike any other I have ever had! You must visit Costa Rica if only for this drink! In the evening during our first night with our host family, we ate chicken, rice, and beans.  I was able to experience another marvelous drink made from strawberries and pomegranate.  I can't wait to continue to try new and delicious foods!




No comments:

Post a Comment