Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Kelsey: Investigating food and nutrition

My name is Kelsey Cantor. I am from a town in Pennsylvania called Williamsport. I like that there are places to go for walks outside and fun restaurants and coffee shops downtown to spend time with family and friends. My major is nutritional sciences and I am minoring in international agriculture. I love learning about how something as simple as food can sustain and promote health, provide opportunities for livelihood, and connect communities!


Some things I like to do are spend time with my family and friends, slow walks outside (when its warm!), exercising at the gym, watching movies, sketching and calligraphy, Bible reading and prayer, dancing, learning new things, drinking coffee at cozy coffee shops, and exploring new places. I also enjoy playing the bass guitar and listening to life music. I am involved with International Justice Mission through Penn State’s campus chapter because of the importance and conviction to fight for the dignity of all people and ensure protection from violence that cripples opportunity.


I would like to conduct research through a rapid rural appraisal format on nutrition conditions in Costa Rican communities. What are typical dietary patterns? How and where is food obtained, and what are the opportunities? How are food decisions made and what are is the community’s perceptions and priorities of their diet? These are some of the questions I would like to explore. I believe research on the nutrition status of rural Costa Rican communities is important because of the critical role it plays in health and quality of life. Food is essential for healthy growth and development and is highly correlated with the prevalence of or protection from chronic diseases. Developing a better understanding of what the current status is, where the gaps and opportunities lie in food intake and food supply will help create empowered and healthy communities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment