Friday, March 4, 2016

Natalie: Gender Dynamics around the world

Hello, my name is Natalie Vercillo from Allentown, Pennsylvania. I am a student at The Pennsylvania State University studying Community, Environment, and Development with a specialization in the Spanish language. Unfortunately, my Spanish is not that great even though I am a first generation Mexican. I enjoy being outside doing things like hiking, snowboarding, and swimming. I also love to travel and explore new cultures. Last semester I had the opportunity to study abroad in Barcelona, Spain. In Barcelona I had the chance to brush up on my Spanish and travel throughout Europe. I also thoroughly enjoy cooking and trying new foods.
After college I have plans to apply for the Peace Corps and volunteer in a Latin American country.

I am very excited to be traveling to Costa Rica in March. I am thrilled to get the chance to be researching gender roles and inequalities within the Pacayitas community. As a female I am an avid supporter of women empowerment. I believe that in any culture women are a vital asset to the economy and community. In Pacayitas I hope to learn the major roles men and women play within a community. I’m curious to see the inequalities women face in Costa Rica and compare it to the inequalities that occur in the United States. I am very interested in living in my host family and observing the roles men and women play in a family dynamic. I am excited to meet new people, eat new food, and learn a lot in Pacayitas, Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment