Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Ashley: Pura Vida

Costa Rica,

Stepping off the bus onto one of the most beautiful pieces of property I’ve ever seen, I was welcomed by Alex, Fabian’s grandpa, and another worker. Surrounded by rolling hills, flourishing plants, and a beautiful dirt road, lies Los Laurels dairy farm in Mollejones. Personally, I knew nothing about dairy cows before this visit. Now, I can say I’ve learned so much in such a little time of being on the farm…and I even milked a cow for the very first time!! Alex, who owns the farm, was one of the most inspirational people I’ve ever met. He explained every process from planting food for the cows, to how they breed them and their entire milking process. Throughout this tour I kept hearing the word “sustainable.” As we know, sustainable farming is a hot topic in the United States. Here in Costa Rica, farmers use their resources to their full advantage. For example, the pineapple tops and the waste from the sugar cane are used for feed for the cows. After watching this entire process, I was more than impressed at how extremely dedicated Alex is to make his farm sustainable. This entire trip I’ve been so impressed with the pride Costa Ricans have about their country and sustaining it to the best of their abilities.

While walking home from Fabian’s, Maria (a local girl from Pacayitas) asked us about what our favorite thing about Costa Rica is. We went on to tell her that everyone here is so nice and extremely welcoming, unlike in the United States (to be honest). As a community, everyone in Pacayitas works together. Maria was so thankful that we thought that and she told us in her best English that she loves Costa Rica because everyone here is always happy no matter how much money they have. When she said this I got the chills and could only think about how I wish people in the United States were more connected. No matter what financial situation someone is in, they always make the best of what they have.


Walking into our family’s home, I have never seen such a simple place. The walls are white, there’s one picture on the wall, and there are only a few pieces of furniture in each room. The simplicity of their lives is amazing. After living with our family for a few days, I’ve come to appreciate simplicity more than ever. In the United States we are always looking for more to gain for ourselves. Everyone is focused on their own lives and we don’t leave time to appreciate what is around them. After viewing the lives of the ticos, I realized the importance of “together-ness” in the community. While walking on the street, everyone waves and yells “Pura vida!” or “Hola!” whether you know them or not. This community is welcoming with open arms to any visitors. One day I hope that American’s can become more welcoming and proud of their country. I really wish that everyone in America could go on this exact trip and have the eye-opening experience that we’ve experienced. This entire trip I have never felt like a typical tourist. My host family and our guides have made us feel like true family. I’ll be forever grateful for this amazing experience…gracias ticos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment