Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Heather: Con Gusto

Dear Costa Rica,

I can’t even begin to express my fascination and adoration for not only how beautiful the view of the country is, but even more so how beautiful the soul of the community is. Each and every person that I have met is incredibly welcoming and so concerned for the experience I am having. And each person we have met this week is inspiringly motivated, hard-working and intelligent. I completely understand now why the consistent attitude throughout is one of patience and full of eager happiness. I feel like I’ve been captured in the magical bubble that I don’t want to pop by going back to the States. The common theme I’ve been noticing amongst all us students is everything is better in Costa Rica.

We went to the sugar plantation, the butterfly farm and the dairy farm. I really loved the love story between Ediberto and Maritza. Both came from sugar families and he lived in Mollejones up on the hillside. And she lived on the farm below. So he moved to be with her and still hikes up the steep hillside to visit his family.

Out in the field, he gave us the opportunity to dig. In the heat of the day, it didn’t take much to work up a sweat and become tired. Afterward, he showed us the process of getting the sugar water out of the sugarcane plant. There was so much physical energy exerted into making their product. While making the tapa de dulce (almost like a brown sugar cake except that it has the consistency of clay), we did it in the heat of the fire. And they moved quickly, artfully and gracefully. 

I have never been more impressed with anyone in my entire life than the people I have met and come to learn about in Pacayitas. I am so grateful and honored to have been able to share in their culture and having such loving open arms to welcome me.

Con amor,
Heather



No comments:

Post a Comment