Monday, March 9, 2015

Katie: Fear is Only Momentary



“Hope will always be stronger than fear. Fear is only momentary.” –Dennis Banks

This is the last quote I had written in my journal since last year when I was with the Ojibwe in Minnesota. It is so fitting seeing as where I am today from where I was a year ago. Those small moments of hope overcame the overwhelming shadows of fear. Holding on closely to those moments of hope has brought me to a place in my life I never expected –a place where happiness and awe completely consumes me. Where laughter and love are stronger than fear, than anxiety, than language barriers. Love, kindness, gratitude, laughter and music are universal languages. My host family and I do not speak the same language and yet we have been able to connect and grow comfortable around one another. Last night we shared music back and forth and had spontaneous dance lessons in the living room. It is incredible to see how language is not necessary to make a real connection with a complete stranger. I am so humbled and in awe of the warmth and sense of family in this amazing culture.

I am also in awe of the passion and ingenuity of the community. The past two days we have experienced so many examples of the passion of these people and their love for their community and their work. Today at a meeting with the Tourism Association they told us “If you want something and you have a passion for it that will overcome all weaknesses.” This quote spoke so many volumes of the community and how much they have invested in each other. Everyone from the coffee producer to the jalapeño farm shared how their hope is to help take care of their community and offer jobs and opportunities.  Repeatedly they tell us that their first goal was never to make money; it was to help the community.

Since I hope to go into International Development when I graduate in May, this really resonated me –what does development mean to the communities we work with? The tourism board explained how simultaneously they work to grow tourism while preserving their culture. In the public meeting area of the community there is a picture of the two oldest and the two youngest of the community. This was there to remind the community that as they grow they must respect the wisdom of their elders while thinking of the future of their children. The definition of development here is so all encompassing of the community –they make sure they benefit the elders, the children, the farmers, and the businesses together. It has only been two days and my eyes have opened to so much.  I am eager to see where the rest of the week will take us.

Peace & Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment