Friday, March 13, 2015

Briana: Getting to the world and myself

Unfortunately, today we had to leave our families. It was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life. I did not realize how close I had gotten to my host family until I was there watching my host mother cry goodbye. 

Being in Pacayitas was one of the most influential experiences of my life. The people really inspired me to follow my own path and to be my self. I feel everyone is always rushing to compete and be successful in their filed, instead of actually taking the time to appreciate what they have.  My host cousin Maria reminded me that even when stories end, new stories begin.

Our new story began at the Veragua Rainforest. The Rainforest was really beautiful and filled with amazing creatures. Creatures from different species all over the world that I didn’t even know existed. We learned about verminous snakes, butterflies, plants, a variety of frogs and more. Something that really caught my interest was the frogs and how they have evolved over the years. Apparently 80% of frog species are active at night. Also, frogs secrete toxins as protection against predators. Different type of frog produce different type of toxins, that vary based on the frog.  In addition, we got to see the golden orb spider, whose incredibly strong web inspired material scientists to create the material used to make bulletproof vests. 


Lastly, I not only learned about the variety of farms, people, animals, insects, and plants but I learned a lot about myself and who I want to be. I learned that I am always rushing to get to the next step, never paying attention of what is going around me. I want to believe in myself and do what I what I want to do because its important to me.  Lastly, I want to get to know my own community, and one day give back to them, because they are part of the reason I’m here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment